PEMBREY MUNITIONS FACTORY
During the 1880s a dynamite factory was established at Pembrey. The site went on to become a munitions factory during the First World War. In World War 1 this was the site of one of the largest such plants in Wales, producing TNT and propellant. From 1916 over 3000 women were employed on the shop floor, undertaking dangerous tasks such as filling shells. After the war the site was closed in 1926 and put up for sale. There were over 400 buildings on the site.
During the Second World War the site was again in production. Most of the site was newly constructed with just a few WW1 structures being reused.
Following its closure in the 1960s much of the complex has been subject to clearance and landscaping and it now forms part of the country park which opened in 1980, there are however a number of significant features which survive.
The ‘Discovering the legacy of the first World War in Pembrey' project was funded and supported by Cadw, Welsh Government's historic environment service and Heritage Lottery Fund. The project was led by Dyfed Archaeological Trust, who would also like to thank Carmarthenshire County Council for their generous support. The project has raised awareness of the First World War archaeology within the park. It has involved local people and school children in discovering archaeology and understanding the significance of the site. A mobile exhibition and leaflets have been produced to be used locally.