St Patrick's Chapel, Whitesands, St Davids
St Patrick's Chapel lies in sand dunes immediately above the high tide level at Whitesands Beach in the parish of St Davids, Pembrokeshire. There is only one known historic reference to the site, and this, in about 1600, was when the Chapel was in ruins. In 1924, excavations uncovered the foundations of a small, stone-built chapel and several well-preserved burials.
Coastal erosion during the winter storms of 2013-14 revealed several graves. A two-week excavation in May 2014 investigated these graves and other remains. At least 23 skeletons were excavated, most of which were in long cists dating to the early medieval period. One of the long cist graves, containing a skeleton of a young female, had a stone cross upright at the west end.
The excavation was a Dyfed Archaeological Trust/Pembrokeshire Coast National Park/University of Sheffield partnership project.
St Patrick's Chapel Interim Report 2014 (file size 11Mb - in PDF format - opens in a new window)
St Patrick's Chapel Interim Report 2015 (in PDF format - opens in a new window)
St Patrick's Chapel Interim Report 2016 (in PDF format - opens in a new window)
[click for navigation menu if not present]